Electrical Malfunction Blamed For Overnight House Fire

By  | 
View Map

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- An electrical malfunction in the attic of a home at 3308 SE Massachusetts Ave. may be to blame for a fire that cost the homeowners an estimated $39,000.

Fire crews responded to a report of a structure fire shortly after 11:45 p.m. Thursday, March 1. Crews reported the fire out at 12:45 a.m. Friday.

When firefighters got to the scene they said heavy fire was showing from the roof of the home, which crews found to be the attic spaces. Everyone inside the home was able to make it safely out before crews arrived.

Officials say the fire was contained to the attic area. A Topeka Fire Department Investigation Unit responded to the scene and reported a preliminary investigation suggests the fire cause was accidental, likely associated with an electrical malfunction in the attic.

The estimated dollar loss was $26,000 in structural damage and $13,000 in content damage.

Three engine companies and two truck companies responded to the fire, along with one battalion chief, one shift commander, one safety officer and one fire investigator.

The Kansas Capital Area Chapter of the American Red Cross also responded to help the two adults and one child who reside in the home with any immediate needs.