Manhattan Man Charged In Home Invasion, Shooting Of K-State Student

By  | 

RILEY COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW) -- A Manhattan man has been identified as the gunman police say robbed several Kansas State University students at gunpoint during a home invasion and shot one of the victims in the process. This is not the first time the suspect has been connected to a violent crime.

Levertis Horne, 21, was arrested Wednesday, November 21, 2012 on Osage Street in Manhattan on a warrant charging him with Aggravated Robbery and Aggravated Battery in connection with the crime which took place in October.

Officers were called to the Chase Manhattan Apartments at the corner of Claflin Road and College Avenue on October 5, 2012 at 11:45 PM. Officials say Chase Cargile, 20, was shot once in the torso during a robbery at his apartment.

When officers arrived at the scene, they learned that a suspect disguised in a black mask and hoodie had fled the area.

Cargile was transported by Riley County Ambulance to Mercy Hospital where he was stabilized and then transported by Life Flight to Via Christi Hospital on St. Francis in Wichita. Sources say he was released from the hospital several days later and recuperated at his family’s home in Sedgwick, Kansas.

According to Kansas State University’s website, Cargile is a sophomore studying journalism and mass communications.

According to Horne’s arrest warrant, he was armed with a pistol when he took property from Cargile and four other victims that were inside the apartment at the time.

According to investigators, there was a physical altercation or struggle of some sort between Horne and the victims during the home invasion, leaving several others with minor injuries. Officials have declined to reveal how the robbery and shooting played out inside the apartment. Police have also declined to say if anything was taken during the incident or why that specific apartment was targeted in the complex.

Chase Cargile and another victim, Austin Miller, were later arrested on warrants for the sale/distribution of hallucinogens/marijuana stemming from the police probe into the home invasion. Miller was also charged with obstruction of the legal process.

Levertis Horne was previously arrested as an accomplice in the August 2011 murder of 31-year-old Kevin Cockrum, a local veteran who was beaten to death in the Aggieville district.

Horne’s friend, Justin Taylor, ended up taking a plea deal in the case and was sentenced to 18 years in connection with the deadly beating and an unrelated sexual assault.

Horne was released the day after he was arrested. Police said they did not have enough to charge him. He later testified in court against Taylor.

Kevin Cockrum, a former Army combat medic, was brutally beaten in an alleyway in Aggieville in the early morning hours of August 11, 2011 and died from severe head injuries the next day.
Assistant Riley County Attorney Disney said that in the early morning hours of August 11, 2011, Kevin Cockrum and a female friend were walking near the intersection of 11th Street and Bluemont Avenue when Justin Taylor drove past them. Horne, the passenger, yelled an unkind remark at Cockrum’s friend. Horne said he went out drinking with Justin Taylor in Aggieville and they were on their way home when they encountered Kevin Cockrum.

According to Disney, after Horne shouted at Cockrum’s friend, Taylor drove past them and turned a corner into an alley when he saw that Cockrum was running after his car. Cockrum was upset over the remark Horne made to his female friend.

Once stopped in the alley, Taylor and Horne got out of the car and Cockrum ran over to Horne waving a large Maglite flashlight over his head that he had been carrying with him. The prosecution says Horne punched Cockrum in the face, knocking him unconscious. When Cockrum was passed out on the ground, Disney says Justin Taylor picked up the flashlight and delivered two hard blows to Cockrum’s face and head. Taylor and Horne went to drive away, leaving Cockrum on the pavement bleeding, but Disney told the judge they stopped and Taylor grabbed the flashlight and threw it into a storm drain a few blocks away.

Levertis Horne is being held in the Riley County Jail on $25,000 bond stemming from his arrest in connection with the home invasion. Police have not revealed how they connected Horne to the crime.

Kansas State University's website lists Horne as a student, indicating that he is a sophomore.