Man Injured During Pool Altercation In Manhattan

By  | 

MANHATTAN, Kan. (WIBW) -- One man was sent to the hospital and another was taken into custody after a disagreement escalated on the Fourth of July at a Manhattan apartment complex.

Officials say a night hanging out by the pool on Independence Day took a dangerous turn when words were exchanged between the two men and tempers flared.

Officers were called to the University Crossing apartments at 2215 College Avenue Thursday night around 9:30PM.

Riley County Police Department spokesman Officer Matt Droge says Keith Jenkins, 23, a resident at the complex, got into a heated verbal argument at the complex’s pool with the victim, Bobby Lewis, 25.

The exchange of words soon became physical and during the scuffle, Droge says Jenkins struck Lewis in the face with a large stereo boom box, knocking Lewis unconscious.

According to police, a third man, Jonathan Vincello, 22, tried to intervene and stop the fight and was injured when Jenkins bit him on his arm.

Jenkins was arrested at the scene for Aggravated Battery, stemming from the alleged stereo assault. Police said he could also be charged in the biting incident. That case has been sent to the Riley County Attorney’s Office for review. His bond was set at $5,000 and as of Friday morning, he remained confined in the Riley County Jail.

Bobby Lewis was transported to the hospital and later released with minor lacerations. Vincello was not taken to the hospital for his bite wounds.

Officer Droge declined to comment on whether or not police believe that alcohol played a part in the brawl. He could not elaborate on what the suspect and victim were arguing about.

Riley County authorities did not report any other major incidents or accidents from the holiday. In Manhattan, firefighters responded to nine fireworks-related calls, down from the number in 2012.

In Geary County/Junction City, officers and sheriff's deputies made several DUI arrests. Junction City police reports indicate that officers and firefighters responded to 19 fireworks-related calls.