Kansas Starts Printing Veteran Driver's Licenses

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) _ Kansas residents who served in the military may now get the word ``veteran'' printed on their state-issued driver's licenses and photo ID cards.

The Department of Revenue announced this week that the service is available to veterans with an honorable or general discharge or a general discharge under honorable conditions.

To obtain the printing, veterans must provide a copy of their military discharge papers indicating their status, or a letter from the Kansas Veterans Commission.

There is no charge to have the word ``veteran'' printed beneath the photo on the card.

Veterans may get the designation when they renew their licenses or pay an $8 charge to have a new card issued before it is expired.

Posted by Greg Palmer