Infant Swallows Feather, Spurs Health Mystery

By  | 

HUTCHINSON, Kan. (AP) _ A 7-month-old girl was a bit of a medical mystery after being admitted to a Hutchinson hospital Saturday when an area of her jaw swelled up larger than a golf ball.

Luckily, a doctor at Hutchinson Regional Medical Center discovered the problem when she pulled a 2-inch black feather out of young Mya Whittington's neck area.

The Hutchinson News reports the girl at some point likely swallowed or inhaled the feather, which then pierced the inside of her cheek or throat. The feather was trying to force its way out of her body, which caused the swelling.

Doctors say the girl probably had been in a lot of pain for quite awhile. But her mother, Emma Whittington, says her daughter cried only when nurses poked her.

___
Information from: The Hutchinson (Kan.) News, http://www.hutchnews.com



 
Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus