Kansas Girl Shocked In Rain, Dies

SALINA, Kan. (AP) A 12-year-old Salina girl who was shocked in May while dancing in the rain in downtown Salina has died in a Nebraska hospital.

The Salina Journal reports Jayden Hicks was 11 on May 29 when she was playing with friends during a thunderstorm in Campbell Plaza. She was shocked when she came into contact with the metal covers of in-ground electrical junction boxes in front of the plaza. She died Tuesday morning in Lincoln, Neb., of respiratory failure.

Her father, Jaymie Hicks, posted a Facebook message saying Jayden died at 3:56 a.m. Her aunt, Kim Queen of Inman, told KWCH-TV Jayden's death was heartbreaking, but that she wasn't suffering anymore.

In September old wiring was removed from the city-owned electrical system in the area where Jayden was shocked.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 238374971