KCC Opens Investigation Into Gas Leak, Explosion

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - The Kansas Corporation Commission opened an investigation Wednesday into a gas leak that sparked a house explosion.

A worker installing a sprinkler system in a yard adjacent to 1905 Navajo Lane hit the line Monday. The Topeka Fire Department said Wednesday that the damage cause the gas service line to separate from the main approximately six feet underground. They say exactly how the gas got into the Navajo Lane home remains unknown.

The home's resident, 81 year-old Lucy Tolliver, suffered burn injuries. Fire officials say she remains in stable condition at KU Medical Center.

Damage is expected to run into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Under the Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act, the KCC must investigate natural gas incidents resulting in serious personal injury, property damage or that are otherwise considered significant.