FedEx Truck Takes KC Police On 2 State Chase

By  | 

(CBS) -- A FedEx driver left the keys in her truck filled with Christmas presents and a man jumped in and took off, police said.

The crook took the truck on a two-state joyride with multiple police cruisers in pursuit before the chase ended in a Kansas City suburb. The man was taken into custody.

The chase wound through Kansas City neighborhoods and ended in Prairie Village, KS. It also included highways and busy thoroughfares.

At one point, officers surrounded the vehicle and an officer got out and pointed a gun at the suspect, but he managed to take off again. The driver was polite at times and used a turn signal and stopped for traffic. He also drove the wrong way on a busy thoroughfare.

The chase ended just after 5 p.m. Wednesday. The truck was actually stolen about 8:45 a.m.

The FedEx driver, Ayanna Stephens, told police that she stopped at a Shell Service station at 8801 NE Birmingham Rd. to fill up the 2004 GMC delivery vehicle with gas.

"Stephens stated she pulled her company vehicle adjacent to a gas pump to refuel and went inside the service station to make a purchase and left the keys in the vehicle," a statement from the Kansas City Police Department said. "Stephens stated when she exited the business, her company vehicle was gone."

A woman who was filling up her vehicle said she saw a man in his 20s eyeing the truck. She said he acted suspicious before jumping in and taking off.

FedEx representatives were unable to provide a license plate for the vehicle, complicating the search efforts.

About 4:10 p.m., officers received a call that the truck had been spotted in the area of 2100 block of E. 89th St.

The driver went from east Kansas City into neighborhoods near Rockhurst University. He ran across a lawn in the area of Ward Parkway and traveled the wrong way. He has lost multiple tires, affecting his speed.

He crossed over into Kansas. He eventually hit stop sticks and the chase ended at tire, affecting his speed. Sparks and flames from the vehicle. The chase ended at Belinder Avenue and 71st Street.

FedEx issued the following statement. "We can confirm the FedEx Home Delivery vehicle was stolen earlier today, and we are grateful for local law enforcement and their efforts in helping us retrieve it. We are cooperating fully with the authorities, but, as the investigation remains ongoing, we have no other information to share at this time"