Ichabods Split At Central Oklahoma

By  | 

TAHLEQUAH, Okla. – Men:
The Washburn Ichabods were down by two with 3:13 to play but were outscored 8-3 down the stretch in a 68-59 loss at Northeastern State. Washburn will host Fort Hays State on Wednesday in Lee Arena looking to snap a three-game losing streak.

Washburn (15-8, 8-8 MIAA) trailed by as many as six in the second half, but rallied to tie the score at 38 with 11:56 to play. However the RiverHawks (12-10, 7-8 MIAA) answered with a 3-pointer and would build their lead back to six again at 46-40 with 9:12 to go in the game.

Washburn cut the lead to three at 56-53 on a pair of free throws, but again NSU pushed the lead back to six on a 3-pointer by Landon DeMasters with 3:54 to play. But on its next possession Washburn cut the lead in half on a 3-pointer by Leon Flowers. Washburn cut the lead to two with 3:13 to go on a free throw by Flowers with 3:13 to go.

Neither team would score again until 1:57 remaining when NSU connected on a pair of free throws pushing their lead back to four with at 61-57. Washburn missed a 3-point attempt with 1:01 remaining.

Washburn fouled the RiverHawks with 37 seconds remaining and hit one of two attempts to lead by five.

Washburn turned the ball over and NSU converted it for a score going up seven and the Ichabods would get no closer in the loss.

The Ichabods trailed 30-24 at the break after shooting only 35 percent from the field while the RiverHawks were 10 of 20 overall. Washburn fell behind 14-5 to NSU 6:06 into the game but came back to tie the score at 24 with 3:35 to play in the stanza. From that point NSU outscored the Ichabods 6-0 to end the game with a lay up and four free throws after a technical on the Washburn bench.

Alex North led the Ichabods with 16 points while pulling down a game-high nine rebounds. Jeff Reid scored 15 points and Stephon Drane scored 12 going 6 of 9 from the field.

Marcus Sheppard led the RiverHawks with 16 points.

Washburn finished the game shooting 42 percent from the field going 12 of 23 in the second half, but finished 11 of 18 from the free throw line for a 61 percent average. Northeastern State shot 49 percent from the field going 21 of 43 overall and 15 of 17 from the free throw line hitting 9 of 11 attempts in the second half.

The Ichabods held a 31 to 25 advantage on the glass and outscored the RiverHawks 30 to 16 in the paint. Northeastern State's bench outscored the Ichabod bench 28 to 16.


Brittney Lynch's layup in the final seconds of regulation ended a 9-0 Washburn run and forced overtime as the Ichabods went on to win 56-52 Saturday afternoon at the NSU Event Center at Northeastern State.

The Ichabods won their second straight game and clinched a spot in the MIAA tournament. They're 15-8 overall and now fifth in the MIAA at 10-6. They're half a game out of the top four which would earn them a bye in the MIAA tournament first round.

Honor Duvall got an offensive rebound under the basket and laid it in with 13 seconds left in regulation to pull Washburn within two points at 45-43. Washburn then called timeout and Alyxis Bowens guarded the RiverHawk inbounder and forced a five-second violation to give Washburn the ball. After another Washburn timeout Janelle Travis got Lynch the ball and she scored under the basket to tie the game with three seconds left and send it to overtime.

Washburn gave up a 5-0 run midway through the overtime that tied the game again. The Ichabods went nearly three minutes without scoring in that stretch but Duvall answered with a layup with 19 seconds left to but the Bods up by two. She was fouled on the shot and Casyn Buchman got an offensive rebound after the missed free throw. Travis was then fouled and she made both her free throws with 13 seconds left to put the game away.

Lynch recorded her third straight double-double with 16 points and 10 rebounds. Taylor Ignoto reached double figures with 14 points off the bench and Kara Lee led Washburn with a career-high 11 rebounds. Buchman tied a career high with seven assists.

Both teams shot dismally with the Ichabods holding a 33 percent to 27 percent advantage. The RiverHawks (10-12, 7-8 MIAA) were able to lead most of the game by hitting 10 3-pointers while Washburn hit just five. Washburn won the rebound battle 54-42.

The Ichabods won despite going scoreless for nearly 10 minutes during the final minutes of the first half and opening minutes of the second half. Buchman hit a layup at the 5:55 mark of the first half to pull Washburn within a point at 20-19. NSU then closed the half on a 7-0 run to lead 27-19 at halftime. The RiverHawks opened the second half with a 3-pointer and then Washburn finally ended its scoring drought of 9:55 with a 3-pointer by Travis at the 16:00 mark.

The Ichabods fell behind by nine again shortly after that but used a 10-0 run to take their first lead since the opening minutes. Ignoto scored six straight points during that run. The Ichabods then let the momentum get away as the RiverHawks jumped ahead and led 45-36 with 4:37 to play. Washburn answered with its 9-0 run to close out regulation.

Kate Bellamy went 6 of 11 from the field for 15 points to lead the RiverHawks. Chelsey Beathard had nine points.