TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-- This holiday season, the Topeka Fire Department wants the public to be safe.
TFD wants you to remember when picking a live tree,pick one that has fresh green needles. The trunk should be sticky to the touch.
Trees that have dried out needles are a potential fire hazard.
Never place your tree close to a heat source,such as a fireplace or heat vent. Always inspect holiday lights each year for frayed wires and bare spots.
Do not overload electrical outlets,make sure to check them periodically. The wires should never be warm to the touch.