Hairspray And Candle Blamed For Wichita Toddler's Burns

By: KAKE, Nick Viviani
By: KAKE, Nick Viviani

WICHITA, Kan. (KAKE) -- A Wichita toddler was rushed to the hospital Monday afternoon after officials say he was burned in an incident involving a bottle of flammable liquid and a candle.

It happened just before 1 p.m. in the 200 block of North Gow.

Police say and 12-year-old and an 8-year-old were watching their two younger siblings while their parents were at work.

The older two went in the bathroom to brush their teeth after lunch, while a toddler sat on the counter with with them.

When finished, police said, the 12- and 8-year-old left the bathroom, each thinking the other was accompanying the toddler. However, the toddler was left in the bathroom.

The two-year-old boy knocked over a plastic bottle likely containing hairspray, and it caught fire. The toddler suffered second degree burns to his upper body.

The older brother carried the burned toddler to the neighbor, who called 911.

He was take to Via Christi-St. Francis, where he is currently listed in serious condition.

Police say the two older siblings were doing a "really good job" babysitting, and what happened was an accident.

No criminal charges are expected, police said.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 270815701 - wibw.com/a?a=270815701
Gray Television, Inc.