TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Gas line work sparked a fire at the Kansas Juvenile Correctional Complex Friday afternoon.
Topeka Firefighters were called to the facility off Hwy. 24 and NW Rochester Rd. around 2:30 pm Friday.
Corrections Department Spokesperson Jeremy Barclay says crews were doing gas line work inside the perimeter of the facility, but in an area away from where offenders are housed. He says a small fire broke out around the meter. Barclay says it was confined to the grassy area around the meter and no buildings were damaged.
Fire crews were on the scene less than an hour.