Fireworks Not Ruled Out In Topeka Garage Fire

By: Nick Viviani
By: Nick Viviani

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Fire officials say fireworks cannot be ruled out as the possible cause of a fire that gutted a garage in central Topeka on Friday.

Firefighters were called to the 1100 block of SW Plass Ave. shortly before 6 pm. They were able to knock down the fire quickly, but not before the garage was destroyed.

The garage was located in an ally behind a house that fire officials say was was vacant. The fire also damaged the outside of a neighboring garage and burned a utility pole in half, cutting power to a couple houses.

Fire officials say the cause is undetermined, but they did find materials from discharged fireworks nearby.

No injuries were reported.

One of our viewers Brandy Stone tweeted us this picture from the scene:



Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265858031 - wibw.com/a?a=265858031