TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW-TV) -- No injuries were reported in an early morning house fire in Southwest Topeka Thursday Morning.
Crews responded to the fire at 3340 SW Spring Creek around 4:30 a.m. The family was already out of the home when firefighters arrived on scene.
Flames could be seen rising from the structure's roof, and further investigation revealed fire above ceilings within the home's attic space.
Crews were able to contain and extinguish the fire by around 7 a.m. According to the Topeka Fire Department the home received substantial fire, smoke and water damage.
TFD says the fire was likely accidental, originating on the rear of the structure, in the area of a "natural gas appliance."
Loses are estimated at $350,000; $250,000 of that total being structural and $100,000 being related to contents inside the home.
Other details released by TFD:
- Five (5) Engine Companies, Three (3) Truck Companies responded to the alarm along with One (1) Shift Commander, Two (2) Battalion Chiefs, One (1) Safety Officer and a Fire Investigator.
- AMR and Kansas Gas Service also assisted with mitigation of this incident. No Injuries were sustained during this operation.
The family was outside of the home in the 3300 block of Spring Creek Pl. when firefighters arrived. The fire was out and reported under control before 7 a.m.
Few details were available early Thursday morning. Continue to check back for future updates which will be posted as soon as the information becomes available.