Fire Rips Through Montara Home, Pets Saved

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A family returned from a shopping trip Thursday afternoon to find their Montara neighborhood home in flames.

Shawnee Heights fire crews were called around 3:30 pm to 7131 Lario Lane. Battalion Chief Scott Price says a family came home from the store to find flames moving through their side of the duplex.

It took about 30 minutes to get the blaze under control. At least one half of the family's side of the duplex was destroyed, with smoke and water damage to the contents throughout. The other side of the duplex was not affected.

Fire crews say the blaze started in an attached car port area. An exact cause isn't determined, but Price said it could be electrical.

Fire crews rescued two cats and a rabbit that Price was were doing okay Thursday evening. He says some frogs and an aquarium with fish also were taken out, but he did not know the conditions of those animals.

No people were injured.

7131 Lario Lane (Photo: Carissa Fox/WIBW-TV)
7131 Lario Lane (Photo: Carissa Fox/WIBW-TV)
Cat rescued from burning home in Topeka.