Space Heater Blamed For Fire That Destroyed Maple Hill Home

By  | 

MAPLE HILL, Kan. (WIBW)-- Fire officials blame a space heater for a fire that destroyed a Maple Hill home Monday morning.

Crews responded to 205 Pierce around 7:30 a.m. after a custodian at a school across the street noticed the home was on fire.

Two residents of the home were able to escape and were taken into the school. They were both treated on location by medical services personnel and later transported to the hospital. Neither sustained any serious injuries.

Crews worked to keep the fire from spreading to homes surrounding the burning structure. The home itself sustained severe damage and is considered a total loss.

Fire crews remained on the scene until after 1 pm Monday putting out hot spots. The home is considered a total loss.

Fire Chief Dean Imthurn said Monday night that conversations with the residents make them fairly certain a space heater is what sparked the blaze.

The Wabaunsee County Sheriff continues investigating the incident.

205 Pierce, Maple Hill, Kansas (Photo: Doug Brown/WIBW-TV)
205 Pierce, Maple Hill, Kansas (Photo: Doug Brown/WIBW-TV)

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus