Space Heater Blamed For Fire At Topeka Home

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Investigators say a space heater meant to keep baby turkeys warm likely sparked a house fire just east of Topeka.

Shawnee Heights Fire crews were called just after 9:30 pm to 341 SE Baldwin Rd. The location is north of SE 6th and Croco Rd.

Fire officials say a woman who lives at the home noticed a fire in her living room and went to a neighbor's house for help. Fire crews saw smoke coming through the eaves in the rear of the house when they arrived.

It took about 10 minutes for fire crews to put out the flames.

Battalion Chief Scott Price told 13 News the woman recently purchased 60 young chicks and was moving them inside out of the nighttime cold. He says she placed combustible materials too close to the space heater.

Five of the chicks dies, but no people were injured.

Damage from the fire is estimated at $44,000 - $30,000 to property and $14,000 to contents.

Fire crews were assessing the damage from a fire at a Topeka home Thursday night.

The extent of the damage still was being investigated Thursday night, as was the cause of the fire.

No one was injured.