Kerosene Heater Blamed For East Topeka House Fire

By: Nick Viviani
By: Nick Viviani

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- Topeka firefighters responded to a large fire in east Topeka late Thursday evening. Firefighters on the scene said it was caused by "improper use" of a kerosene heater.

Flames were shooting from the home in the 800 block of SE Bellview Ave. when fire crews got there shortly after 6:00 p.m., according to authorities.

The fire started in the front living room, firefighters said. They are calling it an accident.

One firefighter said the worst part of a fire like this is when the roof collapses and creates hot spots.

They said at least one man was taken to the hospital. The injuries are reportedly non-life threatening.

Firefighters appraised the damage to the home at approximately $1,170 and said around $2,000 worth of items in the home were destroyed.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 234679551