TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-The Topeka Fire Department responded to a reported structure fire at 1015 SW Wanamaker Rd. Topeka, Kansas 66604, Taco John’s shortly after 3:15 PM on Sunday November 25, 2012.
The first on scene fire officials reported heavy smoke visible from the structure. Upon the arrival of the Fire Department, it was determined that all patrons and employees had successfully exited the structure, without injury.
Further investigation by fire crews revealed that fire was located within the kitchen, at or near the grease fryers. The fire was quickly brought under control, keeping it contained to the kitchen of the structure.
A Topeka Fire Department Investigation’s Unit responded to this incident to determine the origin (where the fire started) and the cause for the fire. The following is a brief summary;
Preliminary investigation suggests the fire cause to be accidental, associated with overheated cooking equipment, within the kitchen.
Origin of the fire was determined to be within the kitchen, at the grease fryers.
Estimated dollar loss – $150,000 (One Hundred and Fifty Thousand Dollars); $100,000 was estimated structural damages/loss and $50,000 was estimated content damages/loss.
Three (3) Engine Companies, Two (2) Truck Companies responded to the alarm along with (1) Battalion Chief, (1) Shift Commander, and an Investigator.
The Kansas Department of Agriculture assisted with this incident.