TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Family and friends gathered at Lake Shawnee Thursday night to honor a Shawnee Heights student who lost her life to a sudden virus one year ago.
A candle light memorial was held to remember 15-year-old Lexie Salmon.
Salmon died one year ago. She fell ill after being taken to a hospital for an allergic reaction to nuts. Doctors then found a virus was attacking Lexie's body, impacting several organs and destroying her liver.
Her parents say it's been a tough year, but thank the community for their support.
"It just means that she's not forgotten. that people are here to celebrate her," said Haley Salmon, Lexie's mother. "It's been a hard year, but just as we come together, it helps with all the support and love that everybody has shown us."
"Just to see the young people that have become so involved with things with the community and letting people know how important it is to become organ donors and just to take care of each other," said Kyle Salmon, Lexie's father. "It's really overwhelming."
If you'd like to learn more about organ donation, visit the Lexie Salmon - Her Fight Is Our Fight Facebook page.