TOPEKA, Kan. Shawnee County dispatch says Topeka Fire Crews responded to the report of a fire at 1317 SW Garfield just after 5 a.m.. Officials say "light smoke" was coming from the front of the building in the second floor.
The occupants reported that everyone in the home made it out safely and no injuries were reported and the American Red Cross assisted at the scene.
Fire fighters say the crews had the fire out within about 20, however the structure attic suffered significant damage.
The preliminary investigation indicated that the fire was accidentatl and caused by an unattended candle. The estimated loss is $15,000 structure and $5,000 contents.