Driver In U.S. Capitol Car Chase ID'd As Conn. Woman

By  | 

STAMFORD, CONN. (CBS) -- The FBI executed a search warrant in the city on Thursday in connection with a car chase from the White House to the U.S. Capitol that ended with the driver, a local woman, being shot to death, authorities said.

Stamford police were helping federal authorities as needed, Mayor Michael Pavia said. Police officers cordoned off a condominium building and the surrounding neighborhood in the shoreline city.

This photo comes from what is believed to be the Facebook page of Miriam Carey, who according to multiple police sources, allegedly led authorities on a car chase near the U.S. Capitol on Oct. 3, 2013. / FACEBOOK
Condo resident Eric Bredow, a banker, said police told him the suspect in the car chase was one of his neighbors.

"I see the door to my building open and the FBI bomb squad in front of it," said Bredow, who said helicopters were flying overhead when he first went home.

Among the neighbors told to evacuate the complex was Angela Corrente, who said she was told it could be a couple of hours or overnight before she could return.

The car that tried to ram through a White House barricade before trying to penetrate security barriers at the Capitol had Connecticut license plates. Connecticut authorities said they wouldn't release details about the car based on the license plate number.

Multiple police sources have identified the woman as Miriam Carey, according to CBS News.

Carey was sued by her condo association in December, but they settled in February. The condo complaint against Carey was unavailable online, and there were no pending criminal cases or convictions associated with her name, court records show.

CBS News correspondent John Miller reports she was fired from her job as a dental hygienist in April 2012 after a fight with her bosses over her using a handicapped parking space they felt she didn't need.

On Thursday, the woman's car was surrounded by police cars, but she drove off, careening around a traffic circle and past the north side of the Capitol. Video shot by a TV camerman showed police pointing firearms at her car before she rammed a Secret Service vehicle and continued driving.

Police said they shot and killed the woman a block away. They said a 1-year-old girl in the car survived and was taken to a hospital, where she was in good condition under protective custody.

Police described what happened as an isolated event and said they saw no indications of terrorism.

As for why police opened fire, correspondent Miller reports that will be the subject of an entirely separate shooting investigation as to what was in the mind of each officer when he fired those shots. Miller added there is a piece of context here, which is this isn't your average police chase for a traffic violation - it starts off with the collision of the barriers outside of the White House and then there's a chase at high speed to the Capitol. What is going through their minds, Miller said, based on their training is: "Is this a car bomb? Is this a terrorist act?" So one is going to see those reactions heightened because of the sensitivity of the location.