Faulty Water Heater Blamed For Copper Oven Fire

By  | 

Fire crews blocked off a portion of Southwest Chelsea and 21st to deal with a fire at The Copper Oven late Sunday evening.

Fire officials said that several trucks dealt with the fire that began inside The Copper Oven at around 9:30 p.m. They say the flames were extinguished shortly before 10 p.m.

The City of Topeka Fire Department Investigation Unit said the fire was accidental in nature, and came from a malfunction of the natural gas water heater located in the attic of the building.

Total damages are $50,000. $25,000 in damages to both the building and it's contents.

The bakery was closed during the time of the blaze. No injuries were reported.