TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Topeka Fire Officials have ruled out natural gas as a factor in an explosion Thursday afternoon that blew out doors and the window of a wash bay at a water pollution center in Topeka.
Emergency crews were dispatched just before 2:30 pm to 1115 NE Poplar.
Fire officials say the blast happened inside a wash bay used to clean city sewage trucks. No one was inside the area at the time, but employees heard the noise and were able to put out a small fire at a floor-level drain before before fire crews arrived.
The blast knocked a large bay door off its hinges. It also did damage to a window, side door and the corner of the building.
City engineers were on site Thursday afternoon assessing the structural damage. Kansas Gas Service was called to look for any leaks.
Fire officials say the explosion appears to have originated with a natural gas-fired heater that was no longer in use. However, with natural gas itself ruled out, the cause remains undetermined.
No one was injured and no foul play is suspected.