Crews Extinguish Fire At Topeka Home

By: Josh Mabry/Chelsey Moran
By: Josh Mabry/Chelsey Moran

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)-- Crews blame unattended candles for starting a fire in the bedroom of a house in the 2000 block of James around 2:20 Tuesday.

According to police dispatch, a caller reported flames coming from the side of a residential home.

Heavy smoke and flames were seen coming from the south side of the home when crews arrived on scene.

Crews initiated an interior attack using pre-connected water lines while rescue crews searched the residence for victims. All occupants were located outside of the home.

Damage is estimated at $15,000 in structure damage and $10,000 in content.

The fire is being classified as accidental and associated with unattended candles.

No injuries were reported.

The American Red Cross responded to the incident and is providing assistance to two adults and three children.

Three engine companies, two truck companies, two battalion chiefs and one investigator responded to the fire.

Stay with wibw.com and WIBW-TV for the latest on this developing story.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 206471661