Couple Loses Everything In Delavan House Fire

By  | 

DELAVAN, KS. (WIBW)-A Marine veteran's family lost everything when their home went up in flames this week. And on Wednesday, they are picking up the pieces.

Smoke is still coming up from the Delavan home that was destroyed in a fire early Tuesday morning.

"I thought 'what in the world?', so I got up and looked in the bathroom and there was fire in there," says Joyce Watson.

Joyce Watson was the only one inside the home and ran out quickly.

"I was outside. I cried and said, 'help me! help me,' nobody heard me," says Joyce.

Joyce's husband, Jimmy, hand-built some areas of the home. What was once cabin logs and bricks, is now a pile of ash and rubble.

"Oh man, yeah, we have been here 15 years, it's just tragic you know, about time you think you are retirement age and it all falls apart on you," says Jimmy Watson, marine veteran.

All that's left is their front door steps, and the Watson family lost everything, including their most prized possessions.

"A lot of stuff that we had that was very precious, like our wedding pictures, just all kinds of things you know, its terrible," cries Joyce.

Joyce says she is grateful she made it out alive and the couple says they are hopeful they will get through this.

"It will all be okay, we have each other and that's the main thing," says Joyce.

"We'll make it...somehow," says Jimmy.

The Watson family asks for monetary donations. You can donate to Central National Bank in Herington under the Joyce and Jimmy Watson fire fund. The phone number is 785-258-2265.

Or you can donate to Emprise Bank in Council Grove. The number there is 620-767-5128. You can also send cards to 1100 N. Broadway Apt #101 in Herington, KS 67449 for Jimmy and Joyce Watson.