WICHITA, Kan. (AP) - An autopsy shows that a man whose body went undiscovered in his Wichita apartment for 12 weeks after a fire died of smoke inhalation.
The Wichita Eagle reports investigators have ruled out foul play in the death of 65-year-old Louis Cervantes, described by authorities as a "hoarder.'' The autopsy showed some burns to the head but no other injuries, and no drugs or alcohol in his system.
The fire occurred Dec. 27 and has been ruled accidental. It was confined to an area around a space heater and extension cord.
The cluttered apartment was searched after the fire and again after neighbors reported not seeing Cervantes for weeks. But crews did not find Cervantes' body under several layers of clothing. It was discovered March 12 by workers cleaning the apartment.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.