Attorney: Permit Sought Before KC Restaurant Blast

By: AP (Posted by Josh Mabry)
By: AP (Posted by Josh Mabry)

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) _ A subcontractor suspected of rupturing a natural gas line before a deadly Kansas City restaurant explosion says it applied for an excavation permit, although the city says one was never granted.

The Kansas City Star (http://bit.ly/15QEFMn ) reports that Brad Russell, an attorney for Heartland Midwest, released a photocopied application for a permit Wednesday. He didn't immediately return a phone call from The Associated Press.

A Missouri Gas Energy official said previously that Heartland Midwest reported hitting a natural gas line with an underground borer more than an hour before last week's explosion. The blast and ensuing fire leveled JJ's restaurant near the Country Club Plaza. One person was killed and 15 others were injured.

City officials said Monday that Heartland sought permission the day after the blast.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 193616041