TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- After lowering her children out of a second floor apartment, a Topeka mom leaped from the second floor of the burning Southbrook Apartments to the safety below herself. Two more people jumped out of the complex and firefighters had to another pair as well.
Flames blocked everyone on the second floor from getting out through the main exit, according to the Topeka Fire Dept. They were called to the building, 5201 SW 34th St., around 2:30 a.m. and saw heavy smoke and flames coming from the second floor and the roof.
The fire was most likely caused by a charcoal grill on the southwest corner of the complex, firefighters said. They added that it was considered an accident.
A dozen people who lived in five apartments were displaced. Two people had to be taken to the hospital, with what were considered non-life threatening injuries, while another couple of people were treated on the scene.
The fire caused more than a half-million dollars in damages: $450,000 to the building and another $100,000 to the contents.