Cigarette Blamed For Central Topeka Apartment Fire

By: Nick Viviani
By: Nick Viviani

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- An 'aggressive attack' by Topeka firefighters kept flames contained to a single apartment Thursday evening.

Heavy smoke was pouring from the central Topeka home when they first arrived around 4:30 p.m., according to a statement by the Topeka Fire Dept. (TFD) No one was in the apartment, 1205 SW Polk St., and all the neighbors had evacuated by the time firefighters got there.

The fire started in the living room near an upholstered chair and has been blamed on a cigarette that wasn't put out well and was ruled accidental, TFD said.

The fire caused $30,000 in damages to the apartments, they estimated, but none to the neighboring apartments.

The Red Cross responded as well to help out the one person who lived there.

Posted by: Nick Viviani


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 253838461 - wibw.com/a?a=253838461