Malaysia's Scomi Wins India Monorail Contract

By: AP
By: AP

KUALA LUMPUR, Malaysia – Malaysia's Scomi Engineering said Monday its consortium with an Indian company has won a 1.85 billion ringgit ($523 million) state contract to build the first monorail in India.

Scomi and its consortium partner, Larsen & Toubro Ltd., received a letter of award last week from Mumbai authorities to construct a 19.54-kilometer monorail network linking the west and northeast of Mumbai, India's financial capital, the company said in a statement.

"This will be the first monorail system in India and is expected to ease the congestion in the highly crowded Jacob Circle, Wadala and Chembur areas (of Mumbai)," said Scomi's Chief Executive Shah Hakim Zain.

The monorail will connect with the existing suburban railway and planned metropolitan railway.

It will be served by 18 stations, a fleet of 15 trains, each with four cars, and will take 30 months to complete, Shah Hakim said.

Engineering firm Scomi holds a 45 percent stake in the project while Indian construction company L&T owns the remaining 55 percent, officials said.

Shah Hakim said Scomi has also submitted proposals to build monorails in Bangalore, Pune, New Delhi and Patna in India, Mekkah and Medina in Saudi Arabia, Dubai and Bahrain in the Middle East, Hanoi in Vietnam, and Lagos in West Africa.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 34198859