The four-year-old Rooks County boy died and his seven-year-old
brother was critically hurt when firecrackers they were setting off
near their home caused a vehicle gasoline tank to explode.
In all, hospital officials said they treated 26 patients with fireworksrelated burns, or about double the normal number. The
victims ranged in age from eleven months to 52 years.
Among them was Tony Watts, who was gravely injured and remains
in critical condition after a homemade mortar he was lighting exploded and hit him in the face.
Wichita-area fire officials said they may push next year for the
Legislature to ban devices that shoot fiery balls into the air, such as mortars and Roman candles.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.