Washburn University Students Evacuated Due To Fire

By: Brian Dorman Email
By: Brian Dorman Email

Topeka, KS (WIBW)-- Students residing in the Living Learning Center were evacuated from their rooms around 5:45 a.m. Saturday due to a fire that was contained to the elevator shaft.

No injuries were reported due to the fire or the evacuation of the building. Students will be able to return to their rooms later Saturday afternoon. An estimated 250 students were in the building when the alarm sounded.

The State Fire Marshall is the lead agency investigating the incident. Numerous University staff are on site and are working with students to make them as comfortable as possible.

The Living Learning Center, a 400-bed residence hall, open in 2001.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 31228739