A little old thermometer caused a big mess at a Topeka apartment.
Topeka fire officials were called to 1015 SW Garfield just before 8 am Friday. They say an old laboratory thermometer fell and broke, releasing mercury into an apartment.
Local haz-mat crews determined they couldn't appropriately clean it up. They contacted the Kansas State Fire Marshal's office, the Kansas Department of Health and Environment and the Environmental Protection Agency. Following their investigations, a contract company from out of state was notified to respond and clean it up.
The Red Cross is assisting the person who lives at the apartment.