This image from television shows the demolition of the 60-foot-tall cooling tower at its main reactor complex in Yongbyon North Korea Friday June 27, 2008. North Korea destroyed the most visible symbol of its nuclear weapons program Friday in a sign of its commitment to stop making plutonium for atomic bombs. (AP Photo/APTN)
PANMUNJOM, Korea (AP) _ A North Korean diplomat says the communist regime is undertaking ``thorough preparations'' to
restart its nuclear reactor in Yongbyon.
Hyun Hak Bong has told reporters at the border Friday that North Korea stopped disabling the Yongbyon complex as previously agreed because the U.S. has not kept its end of a disarmament-for-aid
He says ``we are making thorough preparations to restart'' the facility, but did not say when it would be running again.
The White House had no immediate reaction on the North Korean
Hyun spoke before the start of talks at the border village of Panmunjom with South Korean officials on sending energy aid to the impoverished North amid a deadlock in the six-party disarmament talks.
(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)