(AP) Chattanooga firefighters rescued several cats during a house fire that investigators say was probably caused by the cats themselves.
Fire department spokesman Bruce Garner said firefighters responded to an alarm Thursday morning and found a fire in the kitchen. While no one was home, they found about 10 cats inside.
Some of the cats escaped the house on their own, but some showed signs of smoke inhalation. Firefighters used oxygen bottles and special masks to revive several of the cats. Garner said one cat was not expected to survive.
Capt. Lesley Morgan said the cause of the fire appears to be accidental and most likely from a cat knocking over an unattended candle in the kitchen.
Copyright 2008 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Designed by Gray Digital Media