(CNN) -- After a one-year stint in the number two spot, René Redzepi's Noma in Copenhagen, Denmark, has been declared the best restaurant in the world - marking its fourth time as the top seed.
Restaurant magazine announced the honor as it unveiled its "World's 50 Best Restaurants" list at London's Guildhall on Monday. The annual event, sponsored by S.Pellegrino and Acqua Panna, is a celebration of the crème de la crème of global gastronomy.
The list, now more than a decade old, is curated by 900 restaurant international leaders, including chefs, food critics and restaurateurs.
As for how the list is created, each of the panelists casts seven votes for their best restaurant experiences in the last 18-month voting period. To attempt to keep the awards on a truly "world's best" scale, at least three of the panelist's votes must be for a restaurant outside their respective geographical region.
"There is no pre-determined checklist of criteria; for example an interesting experience in a simple establishment, where exceptional innovation was discovered, could be judged better than a more opulent meal from a widely feted restaurant team," notes the Academy's manifesto.
The ceremony comes on the heels of the announcement that a few of the chefs on the list are taking their restaurant concepts beyond their home turf: Redzepi announced Noma (No. 1) would be moving the entire staff to Tokyo for two months at the beginning of 2015. Meanwhile, Heston Blumenthal announced he and the staff behind The Fat Duck (No. 47) would be flying south from Bray, England, to Melbourne, Australia, for six months in February 2015.
In addition to the World's 50 Best Restaurants List, a variety of supplemental awards were given out throughout the evening, including the "One to Watch" award for Saison in San Francisco, California. Seven other restaurants from the United States were honored this year: Alinea in Chicago, Illinois; Daniel, Le Bernardin, Per Se and Eleven Madison Park in New York; The French Laundry in Yountville, California; and Coi in San Francisco, California.
These are the world's 50 best restaurants for 2014:
1) Noma (Copenhagen, Denmark)
2) El Celler de Can Roca (Girona, Spain)
3) Osteria Francescana (Modena, Italy)
4) Eleven Madison Park (New York)
5) Dinner by Heston Blumenthal (London, England)
6) Mugaritz (Errenteria, Spain)
7) D.O.M. (São Paulo, Brazil)
8) Arzak (San Sebastián, Spain)
9) Alinea (Chicago, Illinois)
10) The Ledbury (London, England)
11) Mirazur (Menton, France)
12) Vendôme (Bergisch Gladbach, Germany)
13) Nahm (Bangkok, Thailand)
14) Narisawa (Tokyo, Japan)
15) Central (Lima, Peru)
16) Steirereck (Vienna, Austria)
17) Gaggan (Bangkok, Thailand)
18) Astrid y Gastón (Lima, Perú)
19) Fäviken Magasinet (Järpen, Sweden)
20) Pujol (Mexico City, Mexico)
21) Le Bernardin (New York)
22) Vila Joya (Albufeira, Portugal)
23) Restaurant Frantzén (Stockholm, Sweden)
24) Amber (Hong Kong, China)
25) Arpege (Paris, France)
26) Azuremendi (Larrabetzu, Spain)
27) Le Chateaubriand (Paris, France)
28) Aqua (Wolfsburg, Germany)
29) De Librije (Zwolle, Netherlands)
30) Per Se (New York)
31) L'Atelier Saint-Germain de Joël Robuchon (Paris, France)
32) Attica (Melbourne, Australia)
33) Nihonryori RyuGin (Tokyo, Japan)
34) Asador Etxebarri (Atxondo-Bizkaia, Spain)
35) Restaurante Martín Berasategui (Lasarte-Oria, Spain)
36) Maní (São Paulo, Brazil)
37) Restaurant Andre (Singapore)
38) L'Astrance (Paris, France)
39) Piazza Duomo (Alba, Italy)
40) Daniel (New York)
41) Quique Dacosta (Denia, Spain)
42) Geranium (Copenhagen, Denmark)
43) Schloss Schauenstein (Fürstenau, Switzerland)
44) The French Laundry (Yountville, California)
45) Hof van Cleve (Kruishoutem, Belgium)
46) Le Calandre (Rubano, Italy)
47) The Fat Duck (Bray, England)
48) The Test Kitchen (Cape Town, South Africa)
49) Coi (San Francisco, California)
50) Waku Ghin (Singapore)
™ & © 2014 Cable News Network, Inc., a Time Warner Company. All rights reserved.