Photography Project Gone Wrong Sparks Large Topeka Grass Fire

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) -- A photography project gone wrong is what caused a fast spreading grass fire along Topeka's southwest side.

The Topeka Fire Department responded to a grass fire shortly before 9 pm at SW 6th and Wanamaker road.

Fire crews say several kids were experimenting with a photography project and twirled a flaming piece of steel wool for artistic effect.

Sparks were created from the action and ignited an area of dry grass.

Crews extinguished the flames in about a half an hour. Officials say there were no injuries and no damage to personal property.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus
631 SW Commerce Pl. Topeka, Kansas 66615 phone: 785-272-6397 fax: 785-272-1363 email: feedback@wibw.com
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 241106761 - wibw.com/a?a=241106761