GARDEN CITY, Kan. (KAKE) -- The number of people who became sick after eating at a western Kansas restaurant has nearly tripled since initial information was released earlier this week.
By Monday, 40 people had reported being ill after eating at a Jimmy Johns Gourmet Sandwiches restaurant in Garden City. As of noon on Friday, the number of cases has grown to more than 110.
Those who became sick ate at the Jimmy Johns location on December 11 or after. The Finney County Health Department and the Kansas Department of Health and Environment are still contacting diners by phone and an online survey to determine who else might have been ill.
The symptoms have included diarrhea, vomiting, nausea and muscle aches.
D. Charles Hunt, State Epidemiologist at KDHE, believes the outbreak was caused by norovirus which causes similar symptoms as well as low-grade fever. Norovirus is easily passed from person to person or through food that has been contaminated during preparation. If often causes large outbreaks, affecting a large percentage of persons who were exposed.
Members of the public who need to contact local health officials about the outbreak can call the Finney County Health Department at (620) 272-3600.
An online survey has also been developed for anyone who ate at the Garden City Jimmy Johns restaurant between December 10 and December 24, even if they did not become ill. The survey can be accessed by clicking here.