TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - Preliminary hearing dates are set for two men accused in an assault from last fall.
Anthony Talbert and Monroe Lockhart will have their proceeding together on April 5. Both are accused of entering a southeast Topeka home last November, assaulting a woman and threatening a man who also was there.
Last week, Judge Mark Braun ruled attorney Billy Rork could not represent them both due to potential for conflict of interest, and had new counsel appointed.
A third person charged in the case, Jacob Barnett, has a jury trial set for May 29.
Lockhart was a managing partner and Talbert the manager of the former Mo's Express convenience store at SE 15th and Adams. A Douglas County detective testified during a motions hearing that Barnett described himself as a business associate of Lockhart. The detective also said Barnett told investigators that Lockhart was calling the shots during the assault while Talbert served as a lookout.
Prosecutors have said they may call Talbert to testify against Lockhart.
In court filings, they also indicated the pair may have information on a homicide investigation. They have not specified which homicide it might be.
Corey Brown, a developer of the shopping center where the former Mo's Express is located, was found dead in rural Douglas County in January. No arrests have been made in the case.