A man police suspected of killing three people and wounding four others by opening fire at a tranquil day spa was found dead Sunday afternoon following a six-hour manhunt that locked down a shopping center, country club and hospital in suburban Milwaukee.
Authorities said they believed the shooting was related to a domestic dispute. The man they identified as the suspect, Radcliffe Franklin Haughton, 45, of Brown Deer, Wisconsin, had a restraining order against him.
Brookfield Police Chief Dan Tushaus said Haughton died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound and was found in the spa. Authorities initially believed Haughton had fled and spent much of Sunday looking for him.
Police said earlier three people were killed and four wounded in the Sunday morning shooting at the Azana Day Spa. Authorities spent much of Sunday afternoon looking for the gunman.
They say they believe the shooting was related to a domestic dispute.
The spa is a two-story, 9,000-square-foot building across from a major shopping mall in Brookfield, a middle-to-upper class community west of Milwaukee.
Haughton's father, Radcliffe Haughton Sr., who lives in Florida, told CBS News that the alleged shooter's wife, Zina Haughton, worked at Azana.
Haughton Sr. said he knew they were having problems and that Zina had taken a restraining order out against him last week in court, something court records in Wisconsin appear to confirm.
After the shooting, police said an improvised explosive device was found at the spa and a bomb squad is investigating, but they did not indicate whether the suspect ever tried to set the device off.
Milwaukee FBI spokesman Leonard Peace said its SWAT team, hostage negotiators and others were helping with the response. But he declined to say how many FBI personnel were involved in all or provide details on what had happened.
Robert Schmidt, spokesman for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives, said it had 10 agents participating.
Beth Strohbusch, a spokeswoman for Froedtert Memorial Hospital, said four shooting victims were taken there, and three more were expected. She said none of the four already received were in critical condition.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said President Obama had been informed of the incident by his advisers, and they did not believe it to be a terrorist threat. In a statement, Carney said: "The President and First Lady's thoughts and prayers are with the victims of this horrible shooting and their families."