FROM TOPEKA POLICE -- From January 1st through the 23rd, 84 residential burglaries took place in Topeka. Of those burglaries, 36 had the front door kicked open, 9 suspects entered through a window, 7 doors were unlocked, and on 13 no forced entry was used.
Many of these burglaries can be prevented by following a few simple rules:
* Watch out for your neighbors. If you see people walking around and knocking on random doors, going into yards or garages that don’t belong to them, or behaving in a suspicious manner, call the police.
* Lock all doors and windows, including the door that leads into your house from the garage.
* If you park outside, remove the garage door opener from your vehicle.
* Do not leave valuables in plain sight in front of a window.
* Break down boxes from large purchases and don’t put them out until the day of trash pick-up in your neighborhood. You don’t want to advertise the new merchandise in your home!
* Don’t open doors to strangers.
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or firstname.lastname@example.org.