Friday Update From United States Attorney Barry Grissom:
TOPEKA, KAN. - Federal charges are filed against five men accused of robberies at Topeka businesses, U.S. Attorney Barry Grissom said today.
A federal indictment unsealed today in U.S. District Court in Topeka charges the men in connection with three armed robberies at local businesses including:
· Check Into Cash, 3711 S.W. Plaza Drive in Topeka, July 25, 2013.
· EZ Payday Advance, 2613 S.W. 21st in Topeka, July 29, 2013.
· Family Dollar, 2616 S.E. 6th in Topeka, Aug. 3, 2013.
Defendants named in the indictment are:
· Quartez Norwood, 31, Topeka, Kan., three counts of robbery and three counts of brandishing a firearm in connection with all three robberies.
· Henry Levelle Davis, 40, Topeka, Kan., two counts of robbery and two counts of brandishing a firearm in connection with the robberies at Check Into Cash and EZ Payday Advance.
· Robert Wayne Redmond, 41, Topeka, Kan., two counts of robbery and two counts of brandishing a firearm in connection with the robberies at Check Into Cash and EZ Payday Advance.
· Henry Earl Sirvira, 45, Topeka, Kan., two counts of robbery and two counts of brandishing a firearm in connection with robberies at EZ Payday Advance and Family Dollar.
· Xavier Leron Sims, 26, Topeka, Kan., one count of robbery and one count of brandishing a firearm in connection with the robbery at Family Dollar.
Topeka police and the FBI arrested Davis, Redmond and Sims on Thursday. Norwood and Sirvira are in custody in California and Utah respectively on unrelated charges.
If convicted, they face a maximum penalty of 20 years in federal prison and a fine up to $250,000 on each robbery count, and a penalty of not less than seven years and a fine up to $250,000 on each firearm charge. The Topeka Police Department and the FBI investigated. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jared Maag is prosecuting.
In all cases, defendants are presumed innocent until and unless proven guilty. The indictments merely contain allegations of criminal conduct.
TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A trio of raids landed three suspects behind bars for three armed robberies that happened earlier this summer.
Topeka Police say 26-year-old Xavier Sims, 40-year-old Henry Davis and 41-year-old Robert Redmond face federal indictments for three armed robberies. The incidents occured July 25 at Check Into Cash, 3711 SW Plaza Dr.; July 29 at EZ Pay Day Advance, 2613 SW 21st; and Aug. 3 at Family Dollar, 2616 SE 6th.
TPD says they were arrested around 6 am Thursday, when TPD officers joined the FBI in executing search warrants in the 600 and 700 blocks of SE Lawrence and the 2000 block of SE Massachusetts.
Two other suspects in the same crimes are in custody in California and Utah. They are identified as 31-year-old Quartez Norwood and 45-year-old Henry Sirvira.
Authorities say they continue investigating if the group is behind more crimes.
TPD also announced the arrest of 24-year-old Jewon Jackson for the Tuesday robbery of the Kwik Shop at 17th and SW Topeka boulevard. He was taken into custody Wednesday. Police say tips from the community helped catch him.
Desch says a second suspect in the case remains at large. Anyone with information on any of the robberies should contact Crime Stoppers at 785-234-0007. People can remain anonymous and may be eligible for a cash reward.
Release from the City of Topeka:
Earlier this summer there were robberies to Check Into Cash (3711 SW Plaza Dr on 7/25/13), EZ Pay Day Advance (2613 SW 21st on 7/29/13) and Family Dollar (2616 SE 6th on 8/3/13).
These robberies have been under investigation by the Topeka Police Department and the FBI.
Early Thursday morning, 9/19/2013, the FBI and Topeka Police Department executed three search warrants related to these robberies within the City of Topeka. The following subjects were all located and arrested without incident for these robberies:
· Xavier Sims, 26 years old from Topeka
· Henry Davis, 40 years old from Topeka
· Robert Redmond,41 years old from Topeka
These three have all been indicted federally under the Hobbs Act for their parts in these robberies.
Two others currently in custody in California and Utah have also been indicted for their part in the robberies.
They are Quartez Norwood, 31 years old and Henry Sirvira, 45 years old. Any further questions regarding these arrests should be directed toward the U.S. Attorney’s office.
Police tell 13 News arrests were made in the 600 block of Lawrence, 700 block of Lawrence, and the 2000 block of Massachusetts.