This week’s featured vehicle is a 2006 silver Lincoln Town Car. It was stolen from a gas station at 5977 SW 29th on January 9 at 5:45 p.m. while the owner was inside.
The last four digits of the vehicle’s VIN are 6853 and it had a Kansas tag of XPO 273 when stolen.
The vehicle has a custom dual exhaust with chrome tips that curve downward, out the back of the car. It also has chrome plates on the window posts of each side of the car. (The window post is the space between the front door window and the back door window.)
Information is also available online at http://www.topeka.org/city/comm_list.php?type=hit-run and will run on City Channel 4.
Anyone with information on the theft of this vehicle or any others is asked to call detectives at 368-9400.
Things you can do to help prevent auto theft:
· Never leave your motor running when unattended. This is one of the easiest ways to lose your vehicle, i.e. warm-up thefts on cold mornings, a quick trip into the store, etc.
· Don't loan your car to a stranger or casual acquaintance. Good intentions can result in the theft of your vehicle.
· If you have a garage, use it, and remove the key! If you don't have a garage, park in a driveway instead of the street if possible.
· Steering wheel or steering-column collar locks make visible deterrents, as well as mechanical challenges.
· Never leave a spare key in the vehicle and don’t leave the title in the car.
· Keep valuables out of sight, i.e. cellular phones, pagers, backpacks, purses, CDs, valuable clothing, etc. Valuables in plain view are an open invitation for thieves.