HAMBURG, Iowa (WOWT) -- A father and son from Hamburg, Iowa are recovering from second and third-degree burns after one of their ATVs caught fire Saturday afternoon.
Shane Adams said he and his seven-year-old son were out riding four-wheelers Saturday when they stopped at home to fill up son Chevy Adams' ATV.
When Shane started to pour fuel into the metal tank, it burst into flames, catching both Shane and Chevy on fire.
“I grabbed him. I threw him off the four-wheeler, and then I fell on the four-wheeler. He was screaming, and I laid on him to get the fire out. When we got up, he had to tell me I was still on fire,” Shane said.
Shane is unsure how the ATV caught fire. He and his wife, Brandy, think either a spark came up from the warm engine, or it could've been because the ATV wasn't shut off while Shane poured gas inside.
“I don’t drink. I don’t smoke. I don’t do anything like that. This is what we do out here. We ride four-wheelers pretty much every night, every day and it was just something that caught us," Shane said. “We learned a lesson.”
Both Chevy and Shane were taken to Grape Community Hospital before being air lifted to Saint Elizabeth Burn Center in Lincoln, Nebraska for severe burns to their arms and legs.
“We walked away from this one," Shane said.
The two are now at home recovering from their wounds, which Shane said needs to be taken care of constantly.
“Right now, we’re wide open, so we can get an infection just by sitting here. That’s why everything’s got to be Lysoled," Shane said.
Brandy said the two could either get gangrene or other serious diseases, which would then require some form of amputation if the burns aren't properly taken care of.
“We’re stuck in the house for the next two weeks. We can go outside, but not for a long period of time. We try to make the best of it in here. We were trying to play in here earlier, which was kind of funny,” Shane said.
Brandy is now in charge of making sure their bandages are regularly replaced, and it's likely Chevy will need to go back to Lincoln several times to make sure he's doing OK.
The fun ride they've made several times before turned horrifying in almost a blink of an eye Saturday, but the two are still as close as ever.
Family shared video of the two finally reuniting in Lincoln after being separated. The video shows Chevy rubbing Shane's face after seeing him.
When asked whether the pair will stop riding four-wheelers after this accident, Shane said no. In fact, Chevy has already asked his parents for a new ATV to start riding once they get the chance to.
“If we could probably go outside today, we’d probably get on mine and go for a ride,” Shane said.
The two will be stuck at home for at least two weeks, meaning Shane won't be able to work and Chevy won't be able to go to school.
Chevy's school, Hamburg Community Schools, has already arranged for an iPad to be taken to the home so Chevy can virtually go to class, according to the family.
To help cover some expenses, the community of Hamburg has stepped up as well. Curt Crain with Hamburg Outreach, an area nonprofit community group, said a significant amount of money was donated to the family, so they can purchase medical supplies and fill their car up with gas to get checkups in Lincoln.
It's unknown how long the money will be available to them, but the Adams are incredibly grateful for the outpouring of support from the community.
"Thank you, everybody!" Chevy shouted in joy.
Chevy has also received dozens of cards from classmates at school, which he joyfully showed off. Cards can be mailed to Chevy at Chevy Adams General Delivery, Hamburg, IA 51640, and the post office will make sure the cards get to him. Chevy really loves the colorful ones, and his favorite colors are blue and green.
Monetary donations can be made at any Great Western Bank under "Brandy Adams Benefit Fund."