Trial delayed for man who went on hunger strike against DCF

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW)- The man who went on a hunger strike, petitioning to get his children back from the Kansas Department of Children and Families has retained an attorney, delaying his trial to later in the summer.

Raymond Schwab was scheduled to be in Topeka Municipal Court Tuesday on charges of criminal trespass, criminal damage to property and loitering or prowling around a dwelling in a case unrelated to DCF. The City of Topeka has confirmed that Schwab has retained an attorney, delaying the trial until Aug. 25.

His wife, Amelia, was supposed to the Municipal Court last week but did not show up. Because she was a no show, Judge Jason Geier said he would be issuing a warrant for her arrest. She was scheduled for trial in an April 2015 case at the Stormont Vail emergency room. She was charged with battery in a rude, insulting or angry manner in the case.

The Schwabs told 13 NEWS they are in Washington, D.C. where they are in an ongoing demonstration in front of the White House. They say they are drawing attention to their federal lawsuit, saying the state is trafficking children and hoping for the Justice Department to intervene in their case.

The Schwabs say contacted Topeka Municipal Court and asked for a continuance until they can file a federal restraining order to keep the state from arresting them in retaliation for their claims. However, their request for the delay was denied.