TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) — A pet dog was already unconscious early Wednesday afternoon when a neighbor saved the pup from a burning garage.
The Topeka Fire Dept. says heavy smoke and flames were shooting from the west side of the garage, in the 3302 SE of SE Girard Street, when firefighters arrived around 1:30 p.m. They attacked the blaze and managed to keep it from spreading to any neighboring structures.
They also treated the dog, eventually helping it regain consciousness.
TFD's Investigations Unit was called in to assist. Their preliminary investigation was unable to determine what sparked the fire, however, investigators did note it started near where a couch and space heater were sitting.
They added that there were no working smoke alarms in the building. Officials estimated the fire caused approx. $23,000 in damages, $15,000 to the garage and another $8,000 to its contents.