Family dog killed in early Friday garage fire

By  | 

TOPEKA, Kan. (WIBW) - A dog was killed in an early morning blaze that tore through an east Topeka garage.

When firefighters arrived on the scene around 3:30 a.m., they found the detached garage, in the 300 block of SE Kouns Street, fully-involved in flames. They were able to keep the fire from spreading to any nearby structures.

Investigators determined the fire was an accident, blaming it on a wood burning stove in the garage. They noted there were no smoke alarms in the structure.

Investigators estimated the fire did $25,000 in damages - $5,000 to the garage and the rest to its contents.