Dog nearly dies from severe burns caused by human hair dye

By  | 

PINELLAS COUNTY, Fla. (KWCH) -- Pet owners are warning of the dangers of hair dye after Pinellas County Animal Services shares a disturbing story.

The animal service team says Violet, a white Maltese mix,received burns along her body after an encounter with human hair dye. Besides the burns, her eyes were swollen shut, and she was left weak.

Violet was taken to the Florida animal service organization where she received fluids, pain medication, and gently washed off.

"Then we waited – Violet went home with our veterinarian and we waited. And she came in the next morning and we were amazed that she had made it through the night. But still, we waited. She wasn’t out of the woods but she was alert and freely offering kisses," Pinellas County Animal Services posted on Facebook.

When the hair was shaved off of Violet, animal services took measure of the damage done.

"It was so much worse than we initially thought – how would this little dog make it through."

After three months of pain medication, antibiotics, IV fluids, honey treatments, scab removal, anesthetizing, bandage changes and tireless work by animal services employees, Violet is recovering.

The organization says it is unclear if charges will be filed. The staff shared a photo of Violet with her new owner on Facebook.