RILEY COUNTY, Kan. (WIBW) -- The Riley County Police Department is encouraging schools, businesses and citizens to sign up to receive alerts through an emergency notification system the agency is now using.
The alerts will come straight from the RCPD's dispatch center and officials say it is a faster and more efficient way of informing the public in situations that possibly endanger the public.
Examples of these situations can include a dangerous suspect at large, bomb threats, hazardous material spills, etc.
The Riley County IRIS Program is set up to send out emergency alerts via email or text.
Beginning the week of May 5, 2013, the RCPD will start issuing alerts via IRIS.
To sign up for IRIS Alerts you should:
1. Log on to the Riley County Kansas Official website: http://www.rileycountyks.gov/.
2. Click on the IRIS Emergency Notification link on the legend located on the left of the web page.
3. From this page you will click on the Sign Up for IRIS Emergency Notifications link.
4. Fill out the form appropriately. Note: Although the form provides a form for a secondary address, be aware that message alerts will only go to the primary address. Also note that all addresses have to be within Riley County. Any addresses outside of Riley County will not receive alert notifications.
5. There may be times a radius is chosen for certain notifications. If your address is outside of the radius chosen, you will not receive alert notifications. It is recommended if you are interested in incidents occurring near or at a specific location, you use that location's address. The RCPD's suggests that you choose the most important location you are interested in or create multiple log ins- one for your home and one for your child's school. Due to a limited number of public log ins, you may choose to register your home address and have your spouse register the address for your child's school.
6. Be sure to indicate which subscriptions you are interested in as well as the device you would like the notices to go to. Keep in mind that if you choose more than one device, you will receive notification on all of those when an alert goes off, no matter the time of day.
7. It is your responsibility to maintain the accuracy of notification points. If you move, change email accounts or cell phone numbers, you must edit your account.
RCPD is using the IRIS program in conjunction with their social media accounts to keep the public informed.